If you click here then you get to the excellent Open University webpage on the Orgins of the First World War.
There is plenty to read, listen to and watch.
Explore the origins of the war
- The spark that set light to a continent: how a conspiracy to kill an Archduke set off a chain of events ending in war. Read more: The assassination of Franz Ferdinand10
- A diplomatic crisis in 1914 led Europe towards war. Find out what happened after Franz Ferdinand’s assassination. Read more: The July Crisis: Immediate reactions11
- A series of diplomatic maneuverings in July 1914 led to an ultimatum from Austria-Hungary to Serbia, and to war. Read more: The July Crisis: Ultimatum and outbreak of war12
- France to the west, Russia to the east; Germany had a strategic plan in case of war in the early 20th century. Read more: The Schlieffen Plan13
- The last German Emperor and the last King of Prussia, Wilhelm II led German forces during the First World War. Read more: Kaiser Wilhelm II: from early years to exile15
- A diplomatic crisis among major European powers in 1914 led to the First World War. What happened when? Read more: The July Crisis: A chronology16
- The way historians have viewed the causes of WWI has changed in the hundred years since war broke out. Read more: The debate on the origins of the First World War17
- Listen to two leading historians give their thoughts on the origins of the First World War. Listen now: Expert opinion: Origins of the First World War18