Enrichment – places to go. The “Last Supper In Pompeii” exhibition at the Ashmolean.

lastsupperinpompeiiashmoleanI have just booked my tickets for this exhibition at the Ashmolean in Oxford. I know I am always banging on about education being about intellectual independence, but it is true, and one of the real advantages of living in the South East is our proximity to some of the greatest museums in the world. Last Supper In Pompeii has received outstanding reviews, and the topic is perhaps the greatest archeological site in the world. Entry for you guys is £6.00. Not bad. Try something different, and remember “carpe diem”.

If you click here, then you will get a full and very well written review of the exhibition from the Oxford Student newspaper. I have included an extract below.

The beauty of some of the artefacts on display is excuse enough for you to find the time to experience this exhibition for yourself.

“The Roman world completely surrounds visitors in this exhibition. From backdrops of Italian countryside to sounds of rippling water, the curators have certainly made the effort to add a Roman ambience to the setting of these artefacts. Most of the exhibition is held in a space which incorporates features of a Roman villa. Large doorways and window openings separate different areas of the home, with artefacts subsequently arranged in ‘atrium’, ‘garden’, ‘dining room’ and ‘kitchen’ sections.

The decision to construct separate spaces within this exhibition creates a flow between areas and guides the viewer on a beautiful and informative journey through Roman life. The beauty of some of the artefacts on display is excuse enough for you to find the time to experience this exhibition for yourself. A stunning sea creature mosaic and a richly coloured dining room fresco were some personal highlights of mine.”

Mr Kydd.

This entry was posted in Archaeology, Enrichment. Bookmark the permalink.